Green salsa steak
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- Salsa topping
- 1/2 cup fresh coriandercilantroX
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded, sliced
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons ciderhard ciderX vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Rice pilaf
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1/3 cup dates, chopped
- 1 cup chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 4 x 120g lean beef steaks
- sprinkling of ground paprika or chilli flakes
- oil spray
- 3 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, halved
Total fat 15g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 6g
1 Place topping ingredients in a processor and process until a chunky topping forms. Adjust seasoning. Set aside and chill.
2 To make pilaf, cook rice. Drain and mix with dates, chickpeas and capsicum.
3 Season steak with paprika. Heat a non-stick pan until hot with a little spray oil and cook courgettes for 2 minutes each side. Set aside. Cook steaks to your liking (see tip) and serve topped with salsa and with rice and courgettes on the side.
Make it gluten free: Check ground paprika is gluten free.
Step by step: Cooking the perfect steak
Step 1 Bring steak to room temperature. Heat a pan or barbecue until hot.
Step 2 Spray steak with oil, then cook on a high heat. Season with pepper while one side is cooking. Cook each side to your liking, turning once with tongs.
Step 3 Turn steak on its side to seal sides.
Cooking guidelines (for a steak 4cm in thickness):
- For a rare steak, cook each side for 1 1/2 minutes
- For a medium steak, cook each side for 2 1/2–3 minutes
Once cooked, rest steak for 5 minutes before serving so juices are reabsorbed.