Time to make: 55 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
Total cost: $ 3.45 / $ 0.29 per serve
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey, warmed
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon active yeast, plus 2 teaspoons
- 1 cup high-grade flour
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon salt
- oil spray
Total fat 1g
saturated fat N/S
Dietary fibre 3g
1 Preheat oven to 220°C. In a small bowl place honey and warm water. Stir to dissolve honey. Sprinkle over yeast and set aside in a warm place until it is frothy.
2 In a large bowl add flours, oats and salt. Stir to mix. Shape a well in the middle and pour in warm yeast mixture. Use a butter knife to mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients. The dough should be sticky when mixed.
3 Spray a loaf tin with oil. Dust tin with flour until all tin sides are lightly covered. Transfer dough to loaf tin. Sprinkle over a few oats. Leave for about 40 minutes until dough has doubled in size.
4 Bake for 40 minutes.
- To test if bread is ready, tap the base of the loaf. If it sounds hollow, the bread is done.
- When measuring by the cup for baking it is important to measure exactly. The best and correct way to measure is to spoon flour into the cup lightly then use the back of a knife to level. Tip excess off. Depending on the grain, flours will differ in their weights.
- Slice up any leftover pieces to freeze. Toast frozen slices then top with avocado and a squeeze of lemon juice for a quick snack or breakfast.