Pork schnitzel with fresh apple slaw
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
2 tablespoons flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
500g thin pork steaks
1 tablespoon olive oil
500g bag prepared coleslaw mix (dressing discarded)
1 green apple, cored and grated
juice of 1/2 lemon, plus lemon wedges, to serve
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 8g
- In a medium saucepan of boiling water, cook potatoes for 10-12 minutes, or until tender. Drain. On a tray, crush each potato gently with the back of a spatula or large fork.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl place flour. Place egg in another and breadcrumbs in another. Lightly coat each pork fillet in flour, followed by egg, then breadcrumbs.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat olive oil over medium. Cook pork schnitzels for 3 minutes each side until golden and cooked through. Remove from pan and cover to keep warm.
- Spray the same pan with oil. Add smashed potatoes and cook, tossing, for 3 minutes, or until golden.
- In a large bowl, combine coleslaw, apple and lemon juice.
- To serve, divide coleslaw, pork schnitzels and smashed potatoes among 4 plates, with lemon wedges on the side.
Add 1/2 cup low-fat plain yoghurt for a creamy coleslaw.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour and breadcrumbs.
Read more about this chef..